Comic book adaptations are still absolutely huge, with DC and Marvel movies raking in the box office and catering to rival Netflix streamers. Netflix has a great upcoming collection of comic book adaptations, which we’ll cover in depth below.
We’ll break our preview into sections below, looking at returning comic book adaptation series, then looking at output from various comic book publishers and any other series or movies in development based on a comic.
Please note: We will only be addressing upcoming English film and series adaptations. We will cover webtoons, manga, and graphic novel adaptations from international regions separately.
Article continues below…
Millarworld Comic Book Adaptations Coming To Netflix
You can find an expanded version of all the Millarworld adaptations coming soon to Netflix here.
Since acquiring Millarworld in 2017, Netflix has so far released two adaptations in the form of Jupiter’s Legacy (cancelled after a single season) and anime series super thieves.
Here’s an overview of Millarworld’s upcoming projects, with three in active development and all others coming soon.
- The chosen one – Adaptation of American Jesus – aka The Chosen One – Coming to Netflix in August 2023 – multilingual series and is about Jesus Christ returning to Earth.
- The Magic Order – This series is similar to Harry Potter in that it deals with a magical order. Development halted in 2020 but will reportedly begin production in late 2023.
There are also many Netflix projects announced but not many details about their development since their initial announcement. These titles include:
- king of spies
- sharkey the bounty hunter
- space bandits
- Super Thieves (live action)
DC Comics Adaptations Coming to Netflix
For the most part, all future DC adaptations are Warner Bros. Discovery exclusives, either through theatrical distribution or MAX. Still, at least four DC comics continue to have adaptations on Netflix:
Read our Netflix preview bodies series here.
Released in the summer of 2014, this comedic mini-series came from writer Si Spencer and is the subject of a UK adaptation by Moonage Pictures.
Described as a «procedural crime with a twist», the series follows four detectives from different eras who converge in time to investigate the same murder.
Filming for the series took place during the second half of 2022 and it is expected to premiere sometime in 2023.
Read our Netflix preview dead detectives.
Originally in development on HBO Max (even during production), the new series dead detectives it will be headed exclusively to Netflix. No doubt acquired due to connection with The Sandman (the two comics share Neil Gaiman as writer), the series follows Charles Rowland and Edwin Paine, who decide the afterlife isn’t for them, and instead stay on Earth to investigate crimes involving the supernatural.
Sweet tooth (Season 3)
Read more about what we know about Sweet tooth Season 3.
Sweet tooth returns for one last outing on Netflix and has wrapped filming, so it’s expected to release sometime between late 2023 and 2024.
Adapted from the comics by Jeff Lemire, Sweet Tooth has followed Gus and Tommy Jepperd venturing into the wild after the outbreak of a viral pandemic.
The Sandman (Season 2 – sort of)
Read our preview of season 2 of The Sandman.
After first debuting on Netflix in 2022, The Sandman has been renewed for «more episodes» in the near future, and we’re already giving a good idea of what’s to come.
The series is expected to go into production in 2023 and continue through 2024.
Dark Horse Comic Book Adaptations Coming Soon to Netflix
See an expanded breakdown of the Dark Horse Entertainment adaptations coming here.
In May 2019, Dark Horse Entertainment signed a first-look deal with Netflix. The two companies have collaborated with the umbrella academy (produced by Universal Television) and the 2019 film Polar.
- Pop! – David Leitch is attached to direct and produce this feature film based on the comic book series by Matt Kindt and Wilfredo Torres.
- Depth – Alice Waddington is on board to direct this film about a daughter who travels to a deep-sea facility to find her father.
- killer lady – Blake Lively is attached to this feature-length action thriller about a 1950s housewife who is also a highly trained assassin.
- MGMT Mind – Series adaptation of Matt Kindt’s comic about a young woman who stumbles upon the top-secret Mind Management program.
- mystery girl – Tiffany Haddish will produce and star in this mystery drama about a woman named Trine who doesn’t remember her identity.
- revenge inc – Matthew Arnold to serve as showrunner on this series about a secret underground company that specializes in revenge.
- the bully – Animated feature from Blur Studio and Chernin Entertainment.
- The Umbrella Academy (Season 4) – Scheduled to be the final season – filming throughout 2023. A spin-off series for The Sparrow Academy It’s also in development at Netflix, but hasn’t been officially given the green light yet.
We should keep in mind that Netflix was going to be the home of grendelbut the project was scrapped after the completion of production.
Boom! Studio adaptations coming soon to Netflix
Since 2020, Netflix has been working with Boom! Studies under a first sight agreement.
- BRZRKR – A live-action anime adaptation with Keanu Reeves attached is in the works on Netflix.
- imagine agents – Follow the undercover agents of IMAGINE, a top-secret agency tasked with keeping imaginary friends at bay.
- Irredeemable – Feature film in development based on the comic book series by Mark Waid and Peter Krouse.
- mechanical cadets – Coming to Netflix August 2023 – Animated children’s series in collaboration with Polygon Pictures.
- last sons of america – Peter Dinklage is notably attached to this sci-fi adaptation produced by 6th & Idaho Productions.
- something is killing the children – Baran Bo Odar and Jantje Friese will be behind this horror-mystery adaptation series.
- The murderer – Coming November 2023 – Film directed by David Fincher starring Tilda Swinton and Michael Fassbender. Based on the graphic novel by Alexis Nolent.
- Sound – First announced in 2019, this adaptation is directed by David F. Sandberg.
Other Comic Book Adaptations Coming Soon to Netflix
ball and chain
This film adaptation could arguably fall under the DC banner, given that Homage Comics is no more, but we digress. This sci-fi fantasy film was first announced in late 2021, adapting the comics by Scott Lobdell.
Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson were announced to be attached to the project as Mallory and Edgar Bulson, respectively.
Expected to begin production in late 2023, this fantasy adaptation of Image Comics’ Donny Cates comic will be directed and executive produced by Jim Mickle. It is a collaboration between Legendary Entertainment, AfterShock Media, and NightShade Entertainment.
This is what you can expect:
“An elderly widower in Texas is cured of dementia after discovering an enchanted sword in the eye of a tornado. However, due to this discovery, he must fight otherworldly creatures that the sword has summoned.”
Coming to Netflix in June 2023
Originally in development at Fox and subsequently canceled and then picked up by Netflix, we will finally see ND Stevenson’s comic adaptation in June 2023.
The film follows a mischievous young shapeshifter who helps the supervillain Lord Ballister Blackheart thwart Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and the Law Enforcement and Heroism Institution.
Chloë Grace Moretz, Riz Ahmed, and Eugene Lee Yang lead the voice cast.
Scott Pilgrim: The Series
Although popularized by Edgar Wright’s Universal-produced films, Scott Pilgrim is a comic book series by Canadian author and artist Bryan Lee O’Malley.
With the cast from the films returning to voice, this highly anticipated anime series
Now let’s round up all the other comic book adaptations we know are in development at Netflix:
- button man – It was announced that 6th & Idaho will adapt the comics by Arthur Ranson and John Wagner in 2019.
- extreme universe – First announced to be in development at Netflix in 2018, this feature film is set to adapt Rob Liefeld’s comic book.
- nocterra – TV show based on the comic book series by Scott Snyder and Tony S. Daniel. It comes through Roberto Patiño’s general agreement with Netflix.
- The Archies – Based on the characters from the Archie comics, Zoya Akhtar will direct this live-action musical set in 1960s India.
- The Old Guard, Chapter Two: Strength Multiplied – A sequel to Charlize Theron’s superhero movie that was released in 2021.
What comic are you most looking forward to seeing adapted on Netflix? Let us know in the comments below.