Prince Harry takes aim at the royal family ahead of the release of his memoir

Share

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry will deliver another highly publicized jab at the British royal family on Sunday, in a pair of television interviews two days before the publication of his long-awaited memoir.

In talks with Tom Bradby, a newscaster for Britain’s ITV broadcaster, and Anderson Cooper on CBS’s «60 Minutes,» Harry is expected to shed more light on the bitter royal divide.

Timed to coincide with the release of his autobiography, «Spare,» previews for both interviews show Harry accusing his family of fueling negative news coverage about him and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

In the interview with Cooper, which airs Sunday at 7:30 p.m. my wife.»

He adds that the statements were not issued to protect his family from some media coverage and «there comes a point where silence is a betrayal.»

Harry also says his family was «briefing the press» in the interview with Bradby, which airs Sunday on Britain’s ITV1 channel and its streaming platform, ITVX, at 9pm local time (4pm ET).

He also refuses to commit to attending the May coronation of his father, King Carlos III.

“There are many things that can happen between now and then. But you know, the door is always open. The ball is in their court,” she says when asked if she will attend. «I really hope they’re willing to sit down and talk about it.»

He says he still believes in the British monarchy, but he doesn’t know what role it would play in his future.

The interviews come after details of Harry’s highly anticipated memoir «Spare» emerged, first in leaked advance copies and then after it was mistakenly released for sale in Spain, despite tight security measures surrounding it. to your publication. NBC News has seen and translated excerpts from a Spanish version of the book.

In the memoir, Harry accuses his brother of physically attacking him during an argument about his marriage to Meghan. He also describes his drug use and suggests that William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, encouraged him to dress as a Nazi at a 2005 costume party for which he was heavily criticized.

He also faced criticism on Friday for his claim in the book that he had killed 25 «enemy combatants» in Afghanistan when he carried out two missions with the British army.

Kensington Palace, which represents William, and Buckingham Palace, which represents Charles, declined to comment on the allegations made in the book or in the trailers, which come at an awkward time for the monarchy, months after the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the ascension of the throne. new king.

It follows the launch of a six-part Netflix documentary series last month, showing just how acrimonious the couple’s separation from the family has been, focusing on Harry and Meghan’s 2020 announcement that they would be stepping back from royal duties.

The two first described their side of the story in their interview with media mogul Oprah Winfrey, accusing family members of racism.

William denied that the family was racist in public comments at the time, and the palace said in a statement that the allegations were «troubling» and that «while some memories may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed privately by the family.» «. .”

You may also like...