Superintendent resigns after school hallway attack on NJ girl who killed herself days later


The superintendent of the New Jersey school district where 14-year-old Adriana Kuch was attacked by students in a hallway and took her own life days later has resigned.

Kuch was found dead in her Bayville home two days after the Feb. 1 attack at a high school. The attack was recorded and the four students involved in the assault have been suspended and charged, authorities said.

The Central Regional School District announced Saturday that it has accepted the resignation of Superintendent Triantafillos Parlapanides.

«The Central Regional family continues to mourn the loss of one of our children,» the statement, posted on the district’s website, read. «The Central Regional School District is evaluating all current and past allegations of bullying.»

The district did not clarify why Parlapanides resigned or respond to requests for comment.

The former superintendent had made comments in interviews with newspapers, including the DailyMail, in which he suggested the teen was a drug user and that her father had turned down offers of help from the district.

In an interview with the New York PostKuch’s father, Michael Kuch, accused Parlapanides of «blaming» his daughter, saying he had not been offered drug counseling. The father added that his daughter had experimented with a marijuana vaporizer, but not with other drugs.

NBC News contacted Michael Kuch on Sunday. On Saturday, he reposted the district’s statement on Parlapanides’ resignation on his Facebook post: «I’ll let this speak for itself.»

Parlapanides resigned during an emergency zoom meeting on Saturday to discuss his comments, according to NBC New York.

The resignation came a day after the teen’s funeral services were held.

The attack on Kuch at Central Regional High School drew national attention after video was posted online.

Of the four students allegedly involved in the attack, one was charged with aggravated assault, another with harassment and two with conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, Ocean County Attorney Bradley D. Billhimer said Friday in a release.

Their names have not been released. NBC News does not typically name juveniles charged with crimes, even those charged as adults.

“Each juvenile and their guardian received a copy of their complaint and are released pending future court appearances,” Billhimer said.

Michael Kuch said in facebook posts and to NBC New York that several students attacked her daughter as she walked with her boyfriend in the hallway.

He wrote on Facebook that a video of the fight was posted online and that Adriana, a freshman, had been tagged in it. He said he believes it was posted to «mock her online.»

Kuch expressed outrage at the school’s handling of the incident, telling NBC New York that police were never called even though Adriana passed out and had bruises on her body.

Before stepping down as superintendent, Parlapanides said Friday that police were notified and that «teachers and security officers intervened» in the fight. He declined to provide further details about the students involved or the fight.

If you or someone you know is in crisis, please call 988 to reach the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. You can also call the network, formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, at 800-273-8255text HOME to 741741 or visit for additional resources.

You may also like...